Home > Guide for changing your U of M campus

Guide for changing your U of M campus

If you are a current University of Minnesota student and plan to change your home campus, or have already done so, there are certain steps you must take to complete your transfer. Although the University is connected across all five of its campuses, some campuses have their own systems for records, billing and financial aid, information technology, and registration.

Use the following list as a guide to help make the transition to your new home campus as smooth as possible. Note that not all items may apply to your situation.

  1. Tell your academic advisor that you are transferring to another U of M campus.
    If you have not done so already, review the steps regarding
    changing your campus. Make sure you review any admissions requirements for your new home campus, and complete the application process. You should do this before completing any of the other items on this list.
  2. Cancel your enrollment for all future terms.
    You must manually cancel or drop your classes in MyU. This prevents you from receiving “F” grades. Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records.
  3. Complete any transfer orientation or advising instructions from your new college.
    If you have not received any instructions, connect with the
    student services or academic advising office on your new home campus to be sure you know how to complete any orientation requirements. Note: Because the orientation process for new students varies by college, it is important that you carefully review the information you receive from your new student services or advising office. Promptly completing any required tasks or attending any required orientation sessions or advising appointments will ensure there is no delay in your ability to register for classes on your new home campus.
  4. Find out what to do to be eligible to receive financial aid at your new home campus.
    Talk with a One Stop counselor about what you may need to do to be eligible to receive financial aid as a student at your new home campus. If you received financial aid on your previous campus, you may need to complete exit counseling.
  5. Complete exit counseling through your previous home campus.
    It may take several weeks after canceling classes for you to be auto-enrolled in exit counseling; check your University email regularly for prompts to complete the process. A hold will be placed on your student account until you complete exit counseling. The hold may prevent registration at your new campus, and prevent access to your transcripts.
  6. Send official transcripts to your new campus.
    You must send all official, sealed transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended (other than the U of M) to the admissions office of your new campus. 
  7. Request to transfer your U of M email/internet account.
    You will need to complete a request to transfer your U of M internet account to your new campus domain to ensure that you have access to email and other resources after you transfer.
  8. Update your contact information.
    Keep your address and phone number up-to-date with the University. Official communications will continue to be sent to your University of Minnesota email account. International students: Do not change your current mailing address to an address outside the United States.
  9. Get a new U Card at your new campus.
  10. Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from your current campus.
    Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking hangtags/keycards, or any other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs. Failure to return materials or equipment may also result in an hold on your record.

Additional considerations

Housing: Whether you live on or off campus, be sure to update the Housing and Residential Life office or your landlord as needed. The University offers resources to help you find housing on or near your new home campus.

Health benefits: If you are covered by the University’s health plan, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine whether your health coverage information and benefits follow you to your new home campus.

Veterans: Notify veterans services of your transfer to ensure that any benefits you receive follow you to your new home campus.

International students: Contact ISSS to inform them that you are transferring campuses and update your SEVIS information.

Student athletes: If you are a current or former student athlete, you may need to obtain approval from the Department of Athletics of your temporary or permanent leave of the University.