Switch UMN campuses

Follow the instructions on this page to change your home campus from one UMN campus to another.

If you are considering taking a class at another campus while maintaining enrollment on your home campus, visit register at multiple UMN campuses.

Submit transfer application

  1. Meet with your current academic advisor to discuss your plan.
  2. Investigate transfer requirements and application deadlines. Make sure you meet the deadlines for applying.
  3. Complete a transfer application:

If you wish to withdraw your application at any time, you must notify the Office of Admissions on the Twin Cities campus or you will not be able to continue your studies at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Complete transfer process

Although the University of Minnesota is connected across all five of its campuses, some campuses have their own systems for records, billing and financial aid, information technology, and registration. Use the following list as a guide to help make the transition to your new home campus as smooth as possible.

Do these items after you have completed your transfer application.

  1. Cancel your enrollment for all future terms. You must manually cancel or drop your classes in MyU. This prevents you from receiving “F” grades. Print out a confirmation of the cancellation to keep for your records.
  2. Complete any transfer orientation or advising instructions from your new college. If you have not received any instructions, connect with the student services or academic advising office on your new home campus to be sure you know how to complete any orientation requirements. Note: Because the orientation process for new students varies by college, it is important that you carefully review the information you receive from your new student services or advising office. Promptly completing any required tasks or attending any required orientation sessions or advising appointments will ensure there is no delay in your ability to register for classes on your new home campus.
  3. Find out what to do to be eligible to receive financial aid at your new home campus. Talk with a One Stop counselor about what you may need to do to be eligible to receive financial aid as a student at your new home campus. If you received financial aid on your previous campus, you may need to complete exit counseling.
  4. Complete exit counseling through your previous home campus. It may take several weeks after canceling classes for you to be auto-enrolled in exit counseling; check your University email regularly for prompts to complete the process. A hold will be placed on your student account until you complete exit counseling. The hold may prevent registration at your new campus, and prevent access to your transcripts.
  5. Send official transcripts to your new campus. You must send all official, sealed transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended (other than the U of M) to the admissions office of your new campus. 
  6. Request to transfer your U of M email/internet account. You will need to complete a request to transfer your U of M internet account to your new campus domain to ensure that you have access to email and other resources after you transfer.
  7. Update your contact information. Keep your address and phone number up-to-date in MyU. Official communications will continue to be sent to your University of Minnesota email account. International students: Do not change your current mailing address to an address outside the United States.
  8. Get a new U Card at your new campus.
  9. Return any books, equipment, or materials on loan from your current campus. Library books, lab equipment, keys, parking hangtags/keycards, or any other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs. Failure to return materials or equipment may also result in an hold on your record.

Additional considerations


Whether you live on or off campus, be sure to update the Housing and Residential Life office or your landlord as needed. The University offers resources to help you find housing on or near your new home campus.

Health benefits

If you are covered by the University’s health plan, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine whether your health coverage information and benefits follow you to your new home campus.


Notify veterans services of your transfer to ensure that any benefits you receive follow you to your new home campus.


Contact ISSS to inform them that you are transferring campuses and update your SEVIS information.


If you are a current or former student athlete, you may need to obtain approval from the Department of Athletics of your temporary or permanent leave of the University.