VA debt

If you make enrollment changes or there are adjustments to your student account after you have been certified for the term, this will create a debt with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). You can contact us if you have any questions about your potential or current debts.

Expand all

For Chapter 33 students

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® pays tuition and fees directly to the school, so you are likely to incur a debt if you change your enrollment after you have been certified. The VA will seek recoupment of tuition and fees paid for withdrawn courses.

Drop below full-time status:

Regardless of the number of credits you are taking in a semester, if you drop below full-time status at any point in the term you will be required to repay some or all of your MHA and book stipend.

Reduced or waived fees:

If your fees are reduced or waived after we have billed the VA, a debt will be created for that fee. For example, if you have the student health benefit plan fee waived after we have reported your tuition and fees, the VA will seek reimbursement for that fee.

For all other GI Bill® students

If you drop below your initial enrollment level reported to the VA, you will incur a debt. The VA will contact you directly with information about how much you owe them and how to repay that debt. We recommend paying this debt as quickly as possible or making other arrangements with the VA Debt Management Center to insure that your future benefits are not impacted. 

Have mitigating circumstances?

If you drop a course or withdraw from school after the University’s drop period and then receive a non-punitive grade, the VA will reduce benefits effective the first day of that term unless mitigating circumstances are found. Mitigating circumstances are circumstances beyond your control that prevent you from continuing your education or that cause you to reduce your number of credits. Contact the VA directly if you wish to file a mitigating circumstances appeal.

Contact the VA Debt Management Center:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Debt Management Center
P.O. Box 11930
St. Paul, MN 55111
Phone: 1-800-827-0648
Email: [email protected]

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site.