Undergraduate classes

If you want to enroll in a class for credit, but are not admitted into a degree program at the University of Minnesota, you may enroll as a non-degree-seeking student. Complete the following steps to register.

Expand all

Step 1: Submit form to create or re-activate your student record

Before you can register for undergraduate classes at the Twin Cities campus, you must activate your student record. After you submit the form, you will receive an automated email receipt of the information you submitted and the form will be routed to University staff for processing. You do not need to submit the form multiple times.

Step 2: Wait to receive confirmation that your record is active

Please allow up to 3 business days for your record to be activated. Each request must be reviewed and processed by University staff. You will receive an email with your University student ID number, which will allow you to move on to step 3 of this process.

The automated email receipt you receive from submitting the activation request form is different from the confirmation email you will receive from University staff.

Step 3: Claim your University Internet ID and account

Once you have your University student ID number, you can claim your University Internet ID and account. Your Internet ID gives you access to the University’s online systems, including University email and MyU, the University's student portal.

Step 4: Log in to MyU portal

After you initiate your Internet ID, log in to MyU. There you can:

  • Update your personal information
  • Register for classes
  • Verify the details of your registration
  • Pay your bill
  • Get transcripts

Make sure that your personal information is up to date so that you do not miss out on mail or email notifications from the University.

Step 5: Register for a class

Search for classes using the Class Search or Schedule Builder.

There are two ways to register for a class: online through the MyU: Academics tab (after completing steps 1-4 of this process), or with the Registration and Cancel/Add Request. You can only register during the open enrollment period.

Graduate classes

If you are a graduate with a bachelor's or another post-secondary degree who is not admitted to, or currently active in, a University of Minnesota degree program, you can take graduate courses as a non-degree student. However, you will not be able to register for courses through MyU.

Register for graduate classes as non-degree

If you need to earn credit for grad classes before you are admitted to a graduate degree program, or would like to take graduate classes for career, professional, or personal enrichment, follow the registration steps below.

  1. Download the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form.
  2. Search for available classes.
  3. Record the five-digit class number (call number), grade basis, units (credits), subject, and catalog number (HIST 5001, for example) for the class you want to take. 
  4. Complete, sign, and date the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form.
  5. Get written approval from a non-degree graduate registration contact in each department or program offering the class in which you plan to enroll. Be aware that the registration contact is not necessarily the course instructor. Please note: All required fields (designated with *) on the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form must be completed (e.g., have all required signatures). E-signatures will not be accepted. If the form is missing signatures or incorrectly filled out, it will be returned to you to complete.
  6. You or the department of your courses must forward your completed form during the open enrollment period of the term.
  7. Once your registration has been processed, confirmation will be sent to the email address listed on the registration form. The email will include information about your next steps.

International students

If you are an international student who needs to satisfy VISA requirements, apply directly to the Graduate School.

Tuition, fees, and financial aid

If you are taking courses as a non-degree student you will be charged tuition and fees which may include collegiate, transportation, academic records, and related course fees. As a non-degree student taking undergraduate courses, you are charged on a per-credit basis up to 13 credits each term. This means that any credits beyond 13 are available at no additional charge. If you are taking graduate courses, refer to the tuition page for college-specific post-baccalaureate rates.

You can view your tuition and fee charges in the My Finances section of MyU prior to the start of term, and pay your bill through MyU.

Financial aid is typically not available to non-degree-seeking students. However, if you are enrolling in courses required for admission into a degree program, you may be eligible to complete the for Prerequisite Coursework Certification form and be considered for federal loans. The following types of aid may also be available to non-degree-seeking students:

  • Scholarships
  • Private loans
    • Private loans may be available to you. Make sure to discuss your non-degree-seeking student status with the private lender before completing an application.
  • Tax Benefits
  • Employer Tuition Benefits
  • Grants and waivers
    • Various grants and waivers may be available to you if you meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP)
    • If you are a Minnesota resident and aged 62 years or older, you may enroll in courses at the University for reduced costs through the Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP).