Drop a class

Check the registration drop and add dates for information about refunds, when permission is needed, and if a “W” will appear on your transcript. If you are a law student, please view the Law School registration dates and deadlines. If no approvals are required and you are confident that making the change is necessary, you may drop your class through MyU: Academics.

If you would like to replace a class with another, swapping classes may be more appropriate.

Drop a class considerations

Expand all

Effect on financial aid

Undergraduates must maintain a minimum current registration of 6 credits (half-time status) to qualify for federal loans. Some federal, state, and University financial aid programs require full-time status. The effect on your financial aid will depend on when you withdraw and the type of aid you receive. You may be required to return all or a portion of financial aid disbursed to you. See minimum credits for financial aid for more information.

Contact a One Stop counselor before you withdraw to determine the impact, if any, on your financial aid, tuition, and/or fees.

One-time late withdrawal

Once during your undergraduate enrollment, you may withdraw from a course and receive a “W” on your transcript, after the deadline for withdrawal, without documented extenuating circumstances. The one-time only late withdrawal form can be used up to and including the last day of instruction (see the academic calendar) for that course. However, you cannot withdraw after completing the final examination or its equivalent.

Except as detailed above, withdrawal after the deadline requires approval from your college and may not be granted solely because you are failing the course. You must have extenuating non-academic circumstances justifying late withdrawal.

Check with your college advising office regarding one-time only withdrawal procedures. Complete grading policies for the University are available online.

Alternate option to withdrawing

As an alternate option, if you have already completed a substantial portion of the work for a class, you may work with your instructor to get an "I" (incomplete) in a course and complete the work at a later date. View grading policies for more information about this option.

How to drop a class

Text instructions

  1. Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
  2. Click the Registration sub-tab.
  3. Click the Register button.
  4. Select the Drop tab.
  5. Select the appropriate term and click the Continue button.
  6. Check the box next to the class you would like to drop, and then click the Drop Selected Classes button.
  7. Confirm the classes you want to drop, and then click the Finish Dropping button.
  8. View your results. A green checkmark indicates the drop was successful.

Visual guide

To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.