Receive a credit balance

When you have a financial credit balance on your account (whether from financial aid or an enrollment change) you'll receive the balance via direct deposit. Direct deposit is fastest. If you're not signed up for direct deposit, you'll receive a check in the mail.

You will receive the money no sooner than 15 business days beyond the last date any payment was posted to your student account. Contact One Stop with questions.

Refunds due to enrollment changes

You may need to withdraw or drop classes during a semester. You may be automatically eligible to receive a refund of tuition and/or course fees depending upon when you change your enrollment. Find drop and refund deadlines.

If your circumstances require you to withdraw from all classes, please tell your academic advisor and One Stop. They will help you make decisions so that you will have a clear understanding of impacts to your academic career.

Tuition and course fees

Enrollment changes are effective the day they are processed. Any refund amount owed to you will be based on the date you officially withdraw or drop (find drop and refund deadlines), not on the date you stopped attending class. Drop immediately if you stop attending class for any reason.

If your tuition and fees are not paid in full, any refund you receive will be a monetary credit applied to your unpaid balance.

Student services and University-sponsored health plan fees

Refunds of these fees are based on the date that the enrollment change is processed and are not affected by retroactive changes. If your enrollment drops below 6 credits, you must accept a refund of the University-sponsored health plan fee, though you may keep the student services fee. If you receive a refund of the student services fee, you may no longer use the services provided by the fee. If you withdraw from all courses and qualify for a tuition refund, you must also accept a prorated refund of the student services fee and the University-sponsored health plan fee.

Special fees

The orientation fee and late registration fee, for example, are generally not refunded. All other special fees assessed at registration are refunded at the same rate as tuition and course fees. No special fees are refunded after the refund period has ended, even if a retroactive enrollment change is authorized.

Submit a tuition refund appeal

In rare or extreme circumstances, the University may be able to refund tuition through an appeal process. You may submit an appeal only after you withdraw and up to one calendar year from the term you withdrew. Please talk with your advisor and One Stop about whether a tuition refund is an option for you.

We base tuition refunds on the date you withdrew from your classes, not on the date you stopped attending. However, we may be able to make an exception for special circumstances such as medical or military.

Registration for a class is a legally binding contract between you and the University. Based on the documentation you provide, an overall assessment of refund appeals are made.

Expand all

Eligibility and documentation

Tuition Refund Appeals can not be submitted unless applicable courses have been dropped. Common reasons for appeal submissions include medical, military, or academic advising.

When you submit a tuition refund appeal, you must provide documentation as evidence of your rare or extreme circumstance for withdrawing from your classes.

The type of documentation you provide will depend on your situation:

  • Medical—use the Medical Supplement form
  • Proof of military activation
  • Death certificate
  • An official letter from your college or advisor

In addition, you will need to provide a personal statement about why you withdrew. Please make sure the information provided is relevant to the appeal.

Steps to submit a tuition refund appeal

  1. First, withdraw from classes. If the term is already over and you did not withdraw, contact your college for help.
  2. Next, set up direct deposit for your student account if you haven't already. It is the fastest, most secure way to receive refunds.
  3. Update your mailing address in MyU.
  4. Submit the Tuition Refund Appeal form (requires UMN login).
    • Get your personal statement ready that tells us why you withdrew. You will be able to copy/paste a personal statement into the form or upload a file.
    • Prepare your other documentation such as medical, death certificate, military activation orders, a letter from your advisor, etc. If medical, complete a Medical Supplement form and upload it to the appeal form.

Once you submit the appeal with all documentation, you'll get an email confirmation. We'll make a decision on your appeal within 2 to 3 weeks.

Effects of a tuition refund appeal

There may be other things that happen when you submit a tuition refund appeal that you should know about:

  • Financial aid: You may be responsible to repay financial aid that was already given to you. Financial aid includes loans, grants, scholarships, and fellowships.
  • Academic record: You will have a grade of “W” for withdrawal on your academic record for each class withdrawn after the deadline for withdrawal.
  • Health insurance coverage: If you have health insurance through the Student Health Benefit Plan or get services at Boynton Health Service, you may lose your coverage. You may also be responsible for services paid by health plans. Contact the Office of Student Health Benefits for more information.

A tuition refund does not apply to charges from services like University Dining, the bookstore, or housing.

For questions, contact One Stop. More information about withdrawing is available.