Degree completion steps are the requirements you need to complete as part of your degree. Your graduate program may have additional requirements and specific timelines. If your degree program is not listed below, contact your program or visit the program website.
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificates
- Master’s degrees
- Specialist Certificate in Educational Psychology
- Doctoral degrees
These degree completion steps do not apply to the following programs: JD, MD, PharmD, DVM, DDS, LLM, and MBA (Twin Cities). Contact your program for information about your degree completion steps.
If you're in a professional master’s (e.g., MEd, MPH, MPS) or professional doctoral program (e.g., DNP, OTD), contact your program for information on requirements and deadlines.
Register every term to maintain active status
As a graduate student, you are required to maintain active status by registering every fall and spring term until you graduate. There may be a time when you need to register solely to meet your registration requirements and avoid inactive status. Special registration categories are options to help you remain active.
Max years to complete your degree
- If you're in a master's program, you have 5 calendar years to complete your degree according to the master's policy.
- If you're in a doctoral program, you have 8 calendar years to complete your degree according to the doctoral policy.
- If you were admitted before spring 2013, there are a different set of policies that apply to you. Please contact your graduate program or Graduate Student Services & Progress for more information.
If you need additional time for your degree, please complete the form that applies to you: