Federal tuition assistance

The Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) program provides financial assistance to students currently serving in the National Guard, reserves, or on Active Duty. FTA can be used for voluntary education programs that support professional and personal self-development goals. FTA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or through distance learning and are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. We suggest that you get approval from your Educational Service Officer before you enroll in classes.

The FTA request form for spring 2023 will become available on December 1, 2022.

Requesting FTA

  1. Register yourself in ArmyIgnitED.
  2. If this is your first time using FTA at the University of Minnesota or your degree plan has changed since you last used FTA, you will need to designate an education path in ArmyIgnitED.
  3. Complete the Federal Tuition Assistant Request form.
  4. Once you receive notification that your FTA Request has been processed by University Veterans Services, log back into ArmyIgnitED and submit your selected courses for FTA request.

After you make your FTA request in ArmyIgnitED, third-Party Billing will create an invoice based on your request and submit it to ArmyIgnitED for payment to be made directly to the University. At the end of the semester, we report your grades in ArmyIgnitED.

For more information about the FTA program, contact University Veterans Services.