Apply for education benefits


To use your Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits, one of the following must apply:

  1. You have been accepted into a degree program and have registered for courses.
  2. You have registered for courses as a non-degree student. If you are a non-degree seeking student, you are eligible for a maximum of 2 semesters of VA benefits in order to take prerequisite courses needed to enroll in a degree program.

To learn what education benefits you may qualify for as a military veteran, service member, or dependent, please refer to eligibility information from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

How to use your Federal VA education benefits

Step 1: Apply for benefits with the VA

  • Complete the application for education benefits through the VA. 
  • Once your VA application has been processed, you'll receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) verifying your benefit eligibility.

Step 2: Request to use your benefits at UMN 

  • Once you are registered, complete the Veteran Benefits Request for the term.
  • Upload your COE in this request form.
  • Submit this form every term you want to use your benefits.


If you're new to the University, have questions about how your benefits might affect financial aid, or want an explanation of the certification process, please call or visit University Veteran Services.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.