Summer financial aid

Summer financial aid includes May and summer terms. The financial aid year ends with summer term, so available financial aid money may be limited.


To be eligible for summer financial aid, you must: 

  • Be admitted to a degree granting program effective summer term at the U of M
  • Be in good academic standing, according to financial aid satisfactory academic progress criteria
  • Be registered for May or summer term (your aid will be based on your actual enrollment)
  • Not have loans in excess of loan limits
  • Not be in default on any loan under Title IV programs at any institution
  • Not owe a refund on a grant

Summer financial aid is not available if you are not admitted, non-degree, registering for summer only, or are a visiting student.

Steps to get summer financial aid

  1. If you haven't already, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year.
  2.  Register half-time or more for classes in May session and/or summer term(s) combined. See definitions of half-time enrollment.
    • You may be eligible for a federal Pell Grant if you enroll in only 1 credit.
    • You may be eligible for a Minnesota State Grant if you enroll in least 3 credits.
  3. Once you've completed the FAFSA and registered for class(es), you will automatically be considered for all available May/summer funding. In mid-May, you'll receive an email with information and instructions on next steps.

See the financial aid timeline or financial aid steps for more information.

Summer cost of attendance

Each year, the University establishes standard student budgets that use cost of attendance (COA) estimates for offering May/summer financial aid funds. Figures vary according to your residency status and degree program. May/summer term COA is determined by your class registration and how many weeks you will be enrolled. Your May/summer financial aid offer will be sent after you have registered for classes. 

Available types of funding


If you're an undergraduate with remaining eligibility, you'll be considered for the Minnesota State Grant, the Federal Pell Grant, Collegiate Surcharge Offsets, Federal and State Work-Study, Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) loans. University Trust (UTFL) loans may also be available on a limited basis. See types of loans for more information.

Summer work-study awards will be made with regard to federal and state fund availability. If you're interested in receiving work-study, you will have the opportunity to request these funds and be placed on a summer work-study wait list.

Graduate and professional

If you're a graduate or professional student with remaining eligibility, you'll be considered for State and Federal Work-Study and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and the Federal Graduate Plus Loan. If you have exhausted your annual maximum eligibility for unsubsidized loans, then you will be offered the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan up to your summer cost of attendance. The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan requires students to meet the federal credit check requirements in order to be eligible. See types of loans for more information.