Return to the U

If you plan to return to the University after taking time away, there are specific steps to follow before you can register for classes.

Please be aware of the following:

  • Any holds in place prior to your leave will remain in effect upon your return. For example, if you were on academic probation prior to your time away, you would return to the University on probation.
  • Your college, school, or center office will determine your eligibility to return, your status in your degree program, and confirm the degree requirements in effect upon your return.
  • If you have any questions about this process, please contact your college or department office.

Deadlines to apply to return

  • You must submit an application to return to a University college no later than 3 weeks before the start of the term for which you plan to enroll. Plan ahead and submit your application before the start of registration for the intended term of return. View upcoming registration dates.
  • If you plan to return to a University school (like the School of Nursing or Dentistry), special circumstances may require an exception to these deadlines. You may need to submit your application more than three weeks before the start of the term. Please contact the school office for specific application deadlines.
  • You may apply to return up to one semester before your intended return, excluding summer terms. For example, if you want to return for the fall semester, you may submit your application at the beginning of the previous spring semester.

Steps to return based on your situation

Expand all

Return to your undergraduate degree after an absence

Whether you are returning from an approved leave of absence or after you withdrew, you will return to the college, school, or center of your last enrollment. If you want to change to a new college, school, or center, contact your intended college or program office to learn about transferring into that program.

  1. Submit the form Return to the University for Undergraduate Programs at least 3 weeks before the start of the term for which you plan to register.
  2. If you have any new coursework since you last attended the U of M, submit the official transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
  3. Meet with an advisor if you are asked to do so. You may be required to take additional steps per your college, school, or center. The Office of Admissions will determine your eligibility and status of return.
  4. Your application will be forwarded to the appropriate college, school, or center for review and readmission decision, which may take up to three weeks. If your application requires an additional review for conduct, it may take longer.
  5. If you are an international student, please also visit International Student and Scholar Services and follow the instructions listed.

Return from academic suspension

If you were placed on academic suspension and wish to continue your studies at the University, work with your college, school, or center, and/or academic advisor. The reinstatement process varies by each college, school, and center. Readmission to the University is not automatic. It depends on the reason for your suspension and subsequent adjustments you’ve made.

Return after you've graduated

If you want to take classes to continue your education, you can register as a non-degree student without being admitted to a new degree program. If you plan to complete prerequisite courses to be eligible for admission to a degree-seeking program, you may be able to apply for federal student loans. Complete the FAFSA for the appropriate academic year and submit the Prerequisite Coursework Certification form.

To complete another undergraduate program after you have finished your degree, contact the college, school, or center that offers the program. They will provide you with the steps to apply for admission or to enroll. You may be eligible for federal student loans and should complete the FAFSA for the appropriate academic year to apply. 

Graduate and professional program readmission

If you were previously an active graduate or professional student and are currently on inactive status, you will need to seek readmission. Visit the Graduate School to learn about the readmission process, or read about the readmission policy.

Financial aid

When returning to the University, you may need to apply to receive financial aid or to update your residency status for in-state or out-of-state tuition billing. Find information about financial aid eligibility and cost of attendance, or contact One Stop with questions.

State residency and reciprocity programs

Find detailed information about residency and reciprocity on the Office of Admissions website, including the current Residency, Reciprocity, and Tuition Exemption brochure. The Office of the Registrar will do an automatic review of your residency status when you submit an application to return to the University. During that review, they may contact you with a request for additional residency information.

If you are a resident of a reciprocity state/province (Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Manitoba), you may need to re-apply for residency. Do this through your home state/province to receive in-state tuition rates at the University of Minnesota. See Office of Admissions for more information.