Home > Finances > Work-study and student employment

Work-study and student employment

Information on student employment at the University of Minnesota is available from the University’s Office of Human Resources:

Work-study awards

Work-study awards are a form of financial aid that is available to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. Students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for a work-study award. Work-study awards are included in a student’s Financial Aid Award Notice.

You may be awarded work-study if you:

  • indicated an interest in work-study employment on your FAFSA,
  • qualify for need-based aid, which is determined by your FAFSA results, and/or
  • are enrolled at least half time.

Graduate and professional school students are awarded work-study upon request if they have need-based eligibility and will be enrolled at least half time. Undergraduate, graduate and professional school students who have been awarded work-study in prior years will continue to be awarded work-study as long as they meet necessary criteria.

If you are interested in a work-study position, but were not granted work-study on your Financial Aid Award Notice, contact One Stop Student Services.