Home > Finances > Cost of attendance

Cost of attendance

The University uses cost of attendance (COA) figures to calculate your financial aid eligibility (COA expense categories). If you do not receive financial aid, you can still use the charts below to estimate your costs. Actual costs may differ from the charts below depending on your program, coursework, and personal spending choices.

Graduate students

If you are a graduate student, view specific graduate cost of attendance information.

Undergraduate students

Undergraduate COA figures are based on 13-credit enrollment each semester. Actual costs may differ from the charts below depending on your program, coursework, and personal spending choices.

  • Freshman students: The Net Price Calculator may be helpful in determining your eligibility for need-based aid.
  • Carlson students: The Carlson School of Management has an additional $2,000 (per year) in tuition expenses assessed by the college for undergraduates. That will not be shown in the charts below, but will be included when calculating your financial aid eligibility.
  • International students: Costs are calculated differently due to visa requirements. See estimated cost of attendance for international students.

Estimated cost of attendance for undergraduates 2018-19

Resident statusTuition/feesBooks/suppliesRoom/boardTransportationPersonal/misc.Loan feesFall+spring total
Resident living with parent$14,760.00$1000.00$3188.00$228.00$2000.00$208.00$21,356.00
Resident living in dorm or apartment$14,760.00$1000.00$9910.00$228.00$2000.00$208.00$28,078.00
Nonresident (class of 2022)$30,438.00$1000.00$9910.00$1728.00$2000.00$208.00$45,284.00
Nonresident (class of 2021)$28,066.00$1000.00$9910.00$1728.00$2000.00$208.00$42,912.00
Nonresident (class of 2020 and prior)$25,960.00$1000.00$9910.00$1728.00$2000.00$208.00$40,806.00

Cost of attendance for undergraduates 2017-18

Residency and reciprocity

If there is uncertainty about whether you are considered a Minnesota resident, review the Residency, Reciprocity, and Tuition Exemption booklet. The booklet contains the University's official policy and an application for resident evaluation.

The University has reciprocity agreements with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and the province of Manitoba, Canada. If you are a resident of any of these states or provinces, you may qualify for reciprocity tuition rates that are lower than nonresident tuition rates and, in some cases, comparable to resident rates.