Home > Academics > Take a class as non-degree/guest student

Take a class as non-degree/guest student

Undergraduate-level classes

If you want to enroll in a class for credit, but are not admitted into a degree program at the University of Minnesota, you may enroll as a non-degree-seeking student. Complete the following steps to register.

Before you can register for undergraduate classes at the Twin Cities campus, you must activate your student record. After you submit the form, you will receive an automated email receipt of the information you submitted and the form will be routed to University staff for processing. You do not need to submit the form multiple times.

Please allow up to 3 business days for your record to be activated. Each request must be reviewed and processed by University staff. You will receive an email with your University student ID number, which will allow you to move on to step 3 of this process.

The automated email receipt you receive from submitting the activation request form is different than the confirmation email you will receive from University staff.

Once you have your University student ID number, you can claim your University Internet ID and accountYour Internet ID gives you access to the University’s online systems, including University email and MyU, the University's student portal.

After you initiate your Internet ID, log in to MyU. There you can:

  • Update your personal information
  • Register for classes
  • Verify the details of your registration
  • Pay your bill
  • Get transcripts

Make sure that your personal information is up to date so that you do not miss out on mail or email notifications from the University.

Search for classes using the Class Search or Schedule Builder.

There are two ways to register for a class: online through the MyU: Academics tab (after completing steps 1-4 of this process), or with the Registration and Cancel/Add Request form. You can only register during the open enrollment period.

Graduate-level classes

If you are a graduate with a bachelor's or another post-secondary degree who is not admitted to, or currently active in, a University of Minnesota degree program, you can take graduate courses as a non-degree student. However, you will not be able to register for courses through MyU.

If you are an international student who needs to satisfy VISA requirements, apply directly to the Graduate School.

To earn credit for graduate classes before you are admitted to a graduate degree program, or to register for graduate classes for career, professional, or personal enrichment, follow these directions.

Tuition, fees, and financial aid

If you are taking courses as a non-degree student you will be charged tuition and fees which may include collegiate, transportation, academic records, and related course fees. As a non-degree student taking undergraduate courses, you are charged on a per-credit basis up to 13 credits each term. This means that any credits beyond 13 are available at no additional charge. If you are taking graduate courses, refer to the tuition page for college-specific post-baccalaureate rates.

You can view your tuition and fee charges in the My Finances section of MyU prior to the start of term, and pay your bill through MyU.

Financial aid is typically not available to non-degree-seeking students. However, if you are enrolling in courses required for admission into a degree program, you may be eligible for prerequisite coursework certification. The form for certification is available on the Forms page. The College of Continuing and Professional Studies offers additional information about financial aid for non-degree students.

There are different eligibility requirements and costs for students participating in the Senior Citizen Education Program.

Important Dates


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session