Home > Academics > Registration guidelines

Registration guidelines

Course prerequisites and registration holds

In order to enroll in some courses, you must either complete or concurrently register for certain other courses, possess particular qualifications, or have the appropriate class standing. These requirements are known as course prerequisites. To see the prerequisites, you must select the class number or the course section and view the course description in MyU’s Class Search.

In addition to prerequisites, you will not be allowed to register for classes if you have a registration hold placed on your account. You can see information about holds, including how to resolve them, in MyU.

First day of class attendance policy

You must attend the first class meeting of every course in which you are registered unless you obtain approval for your intended absence before the first meeting. Without this prior approval you may lose your place in class to another student. If the first day falls during a recognized religious holiday, it does not require instructor approval, but the instructor must be notified in advance.

Repeating a course

Current University Policy (section E.4) states that students may repeat a course only one time (excluding course withdrawals). The registration system will not allow students to enroll in a course for a third time. If you are considering taking a course for a third time, consult with your success coach or academic advisor to explore other options. In some cases, you may be eligible to submit an Academic Policy Petition.

Extra credit

Many colleges permit extra credit (EXC sections) in their regular courses. Through EXC registration, you can earn extra credits (with a limit of 3) in a class by arranging with the instructor to complete additional work or explore a subject in more depth. This type of registration requires instructor and department approval.

Wait lists

If you would like to register for a class that is full, a class may have a wait list that you can join to automatically enroll if a seat becomes empty. Automatic processes to swap and future swap classes are available while you register for classes.

Independent study

Most colleges permit independent (or “directed”) study (IND sections) in their regular courses. Through IND registration, you can complete a course by studying independently under the instructor's guidance without attending class. This type of registration requires instructor and department approval. 

Auditing courses

Most faculty permit auditing in their courses. However, if a course is only set up for an A-F grading basis, then it can’t be audited. As an auditor, you enroll in, pay tuition and fees for, and attend classes but do not complete assignments or take examinations. You receive no credit for the class, but the class will be placed on your transcript with the symbol “V” (visitor) to indicate your special registration status. For further information, check with your academic advisor.

Full-time status

The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you take each semester. The chart below can help you determine if you are full-, part-, or half-time, and applies whether you are degree-seeking or taking classes as non-degree.

According to the 13-credit requirement, if you are a degree-seeking undergraduate student, including transfer, you are required to pay a flat tuition rate based on 13 credits no matter what your credit load. This means that any credits beyond 13 are available at no additional charge. Even when you take 12 or fewer credits, you will pay the 13-credit flat tuition rate unless you have an approved 13-credit Exemption Request. The requirement does not apply to May or summer sessions.

Student status credit requirements

Full time credits3/4 time credits1/2 time creditsLess than 1/2 time credits
Veterinary Medicine9+7-84-61-3

* Includes students enrolled in the Graduate School, Dental Fellow Specialist, Master of Business Administration (part time), Master of Education, Master of Healthcare Administration, Master of Public Health, Medical Fellow Specialist, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Psychology Fellow Specialist programs.

** Includes students enrolled in the Law School, School of Dentistry, and School of Pharmacy programs.

Maximum credit load

Undergraduate students may not register for more than 20 credits per fall and spring semester, or 15 credits during summer, without college approval. If you are interested in taking more than the maximum credit load in one semester, please contact your college to petition to exceed the maximum credit load.

Special registration categories for graduate and professional students

Maintaining active status is critical and is required in order to participate in the University community as a graduate student. If you are not registered every fall and spring term, you will be  considered to have withdrawn and your student record deactivated (read more about the policy). Confer with your advisor and/or director of graduate studies (DGS) to determine what you should register for each term. If you have completed your coursework, you may be eligible for one of the special registration categories available to graduate and professional students

Dual-career registration

If you are admitted to a graduate career (master’s, PhD, or certificate), or an academic degree or certificate program in an Academic Health Center professional career, you may register in more than one career (or as non-degree) during the same term. Learn more about dual-career registration.

Important Dates


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session


Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins
Fri, Jul 29, 2022 Last day of instruction for regular 8-week summer session
Fri, Aug 12, 2022 Last day of instruction for 13-week summer session