Non-degree graduate registration
If you are a graduate with a bachelor's or another postsecondary degree who is not admitted to, or currently active in, a University of Minnesota degree program, you can take graduate courses as a non-degree student. There are two ways to register depending on your status:
Option 1: If you are an international student who needs to satisfy VISA requirements, apply directly to the Graduate School.
Option 2: If you need to earn credit for grad classes before you are admitted to a graduate degree program, or would like to take graduate classes for career, professional, or personal enrichment, follow the registration steps below.
- Download the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form.
- Search for available classes.
- Record the five-digit class number (call number), grade basis, units (credits), subject, and catalog number (HIST 5001, for example) for the class you want to take.
- Complete, sign, and date the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form.
- Get written approval from authorized signers in each department or program offering the class in which you plan to enroll. Be aware that the authorized signer is not necessarily the course instructor. Please note: All required fields (designated with *) on the Registration Request for Graduate Credit form must be completed (e.g., have all required signatures). E-signatures will not be accepted. If the form is missing signatures or incorrectly filled out, it will be returned to you to complete.
- You or the department of your courses must forward your completed form during the open enrollment period of the term.
- Once your registration has been processed, confirmation will be sent to the email address listed on the registration form. The email will include information about your next steps.
|Tue, Mar 17, 2020||Spring second 7-week session begins|
|Mon, May 4, 2020||Last day of instruction|
|Wed, May 13, 2020||End of spring semester|
|Mon, Jan 27, 2020||Last day to receive a 100% tuition refund for canceling full semester and first 7-week session classes|
|Thu, Feb 27, 2020||Summer semester registration begins for students admitted to degree or certificate programs|
|Thu, Mar 5, 2020||Summer registration opens for non-degree and visiting students|