Home > Academics > Grading policies

Grading policies

Receiving an Incomplete (‘I’)

According to University policy, an incomplete "will be assigned at the discretion of the instructor when, due to extraordinary circumstances (as determined by the instructor), the student who has successfully completed a substantial portion of the course's work with a passing grade was prevented from completing the work of the course on time." Incompletes will appear on your transcript as an 'I.'

Incompletes require a contract

If an instructor agrees to give you an incomplete, both of you must sign a written agreement that specifies what work you will complete and the completion date. The period of time allowed by the contract may not be longer than one year.

For undergraduates, Incompletes will lapse to an 'F' or 'N.'

After one year from the last day of final exams of the term you received the 'I,' it will automatically change to an 'F' or 'N,' depending on your grade basis.

With the permission of the instructor, the incomplete can be extended for one additional year even after it has lapsed to an 'F' or 'N'.

For graduate and professional students

For graduate and professional students, an 'I' remains on the transcript until changed by the instructor or department.

Grading policy

For more about incompletes, when they may be granted, and exceptions to the general guidelines listed above, read section D of the University's Grading and Transcripts policy. Additional information is available in the Transcript key.

Repeating a course

In accordance with University policy (section F.6), if you are considering repeating a course keep in mind that:

  • You may repeat a course once.
  • Petitions to take a course a third time are rarely approved.
  • Petitions to take a course a fourth time will not be considered.

Contact your advisor or success coach to explore other options available for your circumstances.

Undergraduate students

If you are an undergraduate student who repeats a course, both grades for the course will appear on your official transcript, but the number of credits is only counted once and is not cumulative. The grade you earn during the last enrollment will count in your GPA, even if that grade is lower. If you earn an 'N' in a course you are repeating because you previously earned an 'F,' the 'F' grade will continue to be calculated in your GPA. 

Graduate students

If you are a student enrolled in the Graduate School, all registrations and grades for repeated courses remain on your graduate transcript and are calculated into your cumulative GPA. Remember that appropriate tuition and fees will be assessed for any courses that you repeat.


Related Resources

Important Dates


Fri, May 4, 2018 Last day of instruction
Sat, May 12, 2018 End of spring semester
Mon, May 21, 2018 May session and summer 13-week classes begin