Home > Academics > Drop a class

Drop a class

Check the registration drop and add dates (see the Law School registration dates and deadlines if you are a Law student) for information about refunds, when permission is needed, and if a “W” will appear on your transcript. If no approvals are required and you are confident that making the change is necessary, you may drop your class through MyU: Academics (see step-by-step instructions).

If you would like to replace a class with another, swapping classes may be more appropriate.

Effect on financial aid

Undergraduates must maintain a minimum current registration of 6 credits (half-time status) to qualify for federal loans. Some federal, state, and University financial aid programs require full-time status. The effect on your financial aid will depend on when you withdraw and the type of aid you receive. You may be required to return all or a portion of financial aid disbursed to you.

To be eligible for a refund if your credit load drops below 13 credits, you must submit a 13-credit exemption request by the end of the fourth week of the term.

Consult with a One Stop counselor before you withdraw to determine the impact, if any, on your financial aid, tuition, and/or fees.

One-time late withdrawal

Once during your undergraduate enrollment, you may withdraw from a course and receive a “W” on your transcript, after the deadline for withdrawal, without documented extenuating circumstances. The one-time only late withdrawal can be used up to and including the last day of instruction (see the academic calendar) for that course. However, you cannot withdraw after completing the final examination or its equivalent.

Except as detailed above, withdrawal after the deadline requires approval from your college and may not be granted solely because you are failing the course. You must have extenuating non-academic circumstances justifying late withdrawal.

Check with your college advising office regarding one-time only withdrawal procedures. Complete grading policies for the University are available online.

Alternate option to withdrawing

As an alternate option, if you have already completed a substantial portion of the work for a class, you may work with your instructor to get an "I" (incomplete) in a course and complete the work at a later date. More information on this option

Important Dates


Wed, Dec 22, 2021 End of fall semester
Tue, Jan 18, 2022 Spring full semester and first 7-week sessions begin
Tue, Mar 15, 2022 Spring second 7-week session begins


Wed, Dec 22, 2021 End of fall semester
Tue, Jan 18, 2022 Spring full semester and first 7-week sessions begin
Mon, Jan 24, 2022 Last day to receive a 100% tuition refund for canceling full semester and first 7-week session classes