Home > Academics > Change your U of M campus

Change your major, minor, college, or campus

Your first choice for your academic plan may not suit you as your interests develop, and as you discover all the University has to offer. Follow the instructions below for the change to your plan that you would like to make. Be sure to discuss with your advisor how the change could affect your timely graduation and financial aid. 

If you are considering taking just one class at another campus while maintaining enrollment on your home campus, read about multi-institutional status.

Change your major/minor or add a second degree program

In most cases, your advisor can assist you with changing your major or minor within your college. Make an appointment to discuss your plan and learn about any requirements needed to make this change since it may affect your timely graduation.

Add a second degree program

If you are pursuing more than one degree (e.g., BA and BS), and the second degree is in a different collegiate unit than the first, you will need to complete the Additional Undergraduate Degree Program Application form, and submit it to One Stop Student Services. Adding a second degree program may affect your timely graduation, so make sure to discuss this with your advisor and learn about the requirements needed to add an additional degree.

Change your college

Complete the following steps to transfer from one college to another within the University of Minnesota Twin Cities or Rochester.

Step 1: Meet with your current academic advisor to discuss your plan.

Step 2: Investigate College or department transfer requirements

Step 3: Make sure you meet the college deadlines for applying.

Step 4: Complete the Application for Undergraduate Change of College form.

Change your campus

Step 1: Meet with your current academic advisor to discuss your plan.

Step 2: Investigate transfer requirements and application deadlines.

Step 3: Make sure you meet the deadlines for applying.

Step 4: Complete a transfer application:

Step 5: Review the Guide to changing your U of M campus to help you through the transition.

If you wish to withdraw your application at any time, you must notify the Office of the Registrar on the Twin Cities campus (by emailing otr@umn.edu) or you will not be able to continue your studies at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.

Important Dates


Fri, Jun 3, 2022 Last day of instruction for May session
Mon, Jun 6, 2022 Summer session begins
Tue, Jul 5, 2022 Second 4-week summer session begins