Home > Terms and conditions > Student complaints and grievances

Student complaints and grievances

The University of Minnesota takes student complaints and grievances seriously and has processes in place to ensure that complaints are addressed appropriately and in a timely manner.

Have you tried to resolve the conflict directly?

A first step for resolving most conflicts is at the local level, between the parties involved, and in some cases with an appropriate third party (another faculty member, department chair, director of graduate studies, residence hall staff, or other administrators). State specifically—verbally or in writing—what the concern is and what action is being requested to address the concern.

Was direct resolution unsuccessful? Or is direct resolution not appropriate?

If direct contact with the other party does not resolve the situation, or if it would make you uncomfortable or would be inappropriate (for example, a bullying or sexual harassment complaint), you can seek assistance through various channels depending on the nature of your complaint (see descriptions below).

Channels for complaints and grievances

Curriculum and academic advising complaints

Grades and evaluation of student work
You are entitled to an explanation for the grade assigned. If you are not able to get an explanation for the grade from your instructor, consult the appropriate director for undergraduate or graduate studies, or the department chair of the department in which the course is offered. Additionally, you may seek assistance from the Student Conflict Resolution Center.

Quality of instruction
Student concerns regarding the quality of instruction should be directed to the appropriate department chair of the department in which the course is offered. You may also consult with the director for undergraduate or graduate studies of that department.

Academic advising
Student concerns about academic advising should be directed to the director of the advising unit. If a complaint cannot be resolved at that level, you may reach out to the director of undergraduate or graduate studies for their major program.

Academic complaints

Academic units manage academic complaints, which are defined by the Addressing Student Academic Complaints policy as complaints brought by students regarding the University's provision of education and academic services affecting their role as students. These are based on a claimed violation of a University rule, policy, or established practice. Under this policy, student academic complaints do not include student complaints regarding grades and other evaluation of student work, University employment, University admission decisions, or disciplinary action under Board of Regents Policy: Student Conduct Code.

The Conflict Resolution Process for Student Academic Complaints outlines the process for resolving complaints that fall within the scope of this policy. Contact your college or school advising office to begin the formal complaint process.

Violations of law, regulation, or policy

UReport provides a way for University community members to report violations of rules, regulations, and policies. The report can be made anonymously.

Discrimination, harassment, or sexual violence complaints (includes all Title IX complaints)

The Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Office (EOAA) serves as a neutral party to advise individuals and departments about perceived, existing, and potential discrimination, harassment, sexual violence, retaliation, and potential violations of the policy against nepotism through consultation and investigation. To report a complaint, contact EOAA at eoaa@umn.edu or 612-624-9547.

Bias incidents

To report a bias incident anonymously, visit Bias Response and Referral Network (BRRN) UReport. You can also email endbias@umn.edu.

The Bias Response and Referral Network (BRRN) responds to reports of bias incidents on the Twin Cities campus. The BRRN’s goal is to contribute to a campus climate that is welcoming, inclusive, and respectful for all. The BRRN responds to reports of bias by referring reporters to appropriate campus offices that can effectively respond through investigation, educational coaching, or other resources, depending on the nature of the incident. The BRRN does not have an investigatory or disciplinary role. The BRRN also provides impacted parties with information about confidential support resources, and tracks all bias incidents reported in an incident log to inform campus leaders of emerging trends. The BRRN promotes education and dialogue and affirms the University's commitment to equity and diversity, free speech, and academic freedom.

Residence hall complaints

If you have any concerns or complaints about your housing experiences, contact Housing and Residential Life at housing@umn.edu or 612-624-2994.

Employment-related complaints

The Office of Conflict Resolution addresses all employment conflicts. Consultations are confidential (subject to very limited exceptions). For concerns related to your student job at the University, contact the Office of Conflict Resolution at ocr@umn.edu or 612-624-1030.

Parking and transportation complaints

To report a complaint related to the administration, operation, and maintenance of reliable and efficient transportation services including transit (i.e., campus connector), parking, fleet, street, walkways, and way-finding, contact Parking and Transportation Services at parking@umn.edu or 612-626-7275.

Safety and security concerns

If you are concerned about any aspect of campus safety, contact University Services at userv@umn.edu or 612-624-3557. For more information visit safe-u.umn.edu.

Student Conflict Resolution Center

The Student Conflict Resolution Center provides tips to approach conflicts related to grading and instructional complaints, group project assignments, and more. An ombudsman provides confidential, neutral, and informal options. Contact SCRC at sos@umn.edu or 612-624-7272.

Other complaints

If you do not know which of the resources is best for your situation, you may file a complaint using this online form.

Important Dates