Home > Finances > Eligibility for financial aid

Eligibility for financial aid

Many students qualify for some type of financial aid. The eligibility requirements for most types of financial aid are below. You can find more information at Federal Student Aid.

Information about financial aid opportunities for undocumented students under the Minnesota Dream Act is also available.

Formal admission is different from just taking classes. Most financial aid requires admission to a degree-seeking program. 

There is limited aid available for non-degree and certificate-seeking students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is used to define successful completion of coursework and timely progress toward degree completion to maintain eligibility for student financial aid.

"Term-based" online courses are counted towards your credit eligibility for financial aid. Term-based courses take a full semester to complete and are often taken directly through an academic department. "Extended-term" courses are not eligible for financial aid. Typically these courses are only offered through the University’s College of Continuing Education.

When you satisfy all requirements for your first degree, you will no longer be eligible to receive federal financial aid for subsequent terms due to US Department of Education regulations. However, you may still be eligible to receive other non-federal financial aid.

If you are admitted to a second undergraduate degree program, you may be eligible for Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans. If you add a second major after completing a bachelor’s degree, or if you are continuing coursework to complete a second major in a degree program from which you’ve already graduated, you are not eligible for financial aid, including loans.

If you are required to take prerequisite courses before admission to an undergraduate, graduate, or professional program, you may be eligible for federal student loans. Contact One Stop Student Services and complete a Prerequisite Coursework Certification form to apply for federal financial aid.