Home > Finances > Study abroad and off-campus learning

Study abroad and off-campus learning

Most types of financial aid may be used for study abroad or off-campus learning opportunities, including grants, scholarships, and student loans. However, National Scholarship and reciprocity waivers do not apply to study abroad programs.

Learning abroad

If you are a University of Minnesota-Twin Cities undergraduate student and plan to use financial aid to study abroad, you must request an official Study Abroad Cost Estimate (SACE) from the Learning Abroad Center and submit it to the Office of Student Finance in 333 Bruininks Hall. The SACE documents all financial aid-eligible costs of your study abroad program and is used to adjust your cost of attendance.

The Learning Abroad Center (LAC) offers semester, academic year, and winter break and May/summer term international study programs.

You should complete your financial aid requirements at least two months prior to your departure. The LAC website describes the wide variety of programs and financial resources available to you, along with the steps required to finance your study abroad experience.

Off-campus study in North America

Center for Community-Engaged Learning (CCEL) offers several Off-Campus Study Programs in the Twin Cities, the US, US territories, and Canada.

The National Student Exchange (NSE) is the domestic equivalent of study abroad. Students may attend NSE for a semester, summer, or academic year. The NSE Consortium includes schools all over the United States (including Hawaii and Puerto Rico), as well as Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada.