Home > Academics > Take a leave of absence

Take a leave of absence

Maintaining active status

At the University of Minnesota, you are expected to maintain continuous enrollment (i.e. register for classes) every fall and spring term. This is called maintaining “active” status.

However, if you do not enroll in classes for a single term (with the exception of summer), your student status will be discontinued, or moved to “inactive” status. If you become inactive and at a later date wish to resume your studies at the University, you will have to apply for readmission.

While it is important to maintain active status to stay on target for graduation, the University realizes there are circumstances in which you may need to take a break in your studies. Depending on your situation, you may either want to withdraw or take a formal leave of absence. We encourage you to speak with your advisor to determine which option is right for you.

Withdraw from the University

If you plan to withdraw from the University and do not have a definite plan to return, review our withdrawal guide. Withdrawing also applies to you if you plan to transfer to another institution.

Apply for a leave of absence

The University has a formal leave of absence (LOA) process for students who need to take a break in their studies and plan to return to the University within two years. An approved LOA allows you to break your continuous enrollment and return to your degree program at a later date. See leave of absence (LOA) to learn about eligibility requirements and the application process.

Important Dates


Wed, Dec 22, 2021 End of fall semester
Tue, Jan 18, 2022 Spring full semester and first 7-week sessions begin
Tue, Mar 15, 2022 Spring second 7-week session begins