Home > Student emergency funds

Student emergency funds

The University of Minnesota has created emergency funds to assist and support University of Minnesota students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event, for example those related to the COVID-19 public health emergency.

These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a supplement to a student's education funding sources. Instead, these funds are for those students who experience an event or unforeseen circumstance that negatively and severely impacts their academic success.

An eligibility review will determine if granting the emergency fund request will have a negative impact on current and future aid if received. Priority will be given to students whose persistence at the University may be at risk because of unexpected expenses. Emergency funds can be used for groceries/food, housing/rent, medical, transportation, technology, or other expenses that may be experienced during a financial crisis. 

Note: Emergency grant funds are limited.

The typical range of awards is $50-$1,000 depending on types of expenses, circumstances, and/or documentation provided.


  • You are a currently enrolled, degree-seeking student at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities during the term when the emergency funds would be applied. This includes undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Students are eligible for one emergency grant per degree program.
  • You are maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) or have successfully appealed a SAP suspension status.
  • You are able to demonstrate your current financial need by describing your circumstances and providing documentation or receipts related to the emergency.
  • You have completed an intake form in full, including how the emergency grant funds will be spent.
  • A completed FAFSA is highly recommended so that we can determine what other funding options may be available to you. A FAFSA is not required for international students, undocumented students, and students enrolled in DACA.

Request funds

To request student emergency funds contact One Stop Student Services at onestop@umn.edu. One Stop will send you an emergency grant form within 1-2 days. The application asks several questions including:

  • An explanation of the emergency and how the funds will be used to help with your emergency
  • An explanation of the impact of this emergency and the unexpected expenses on your ability to remain enrolled at the University of Minnesota
  • What other sources of funding you have tried to obtain so that we can identify possible other campus or community resources that may be helpful
  • You will need to attach documentation or receipts related to the emergency

Campus resources

  • Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education
    • Provides crisis intervention, advocacy, information, referral services, emotional support, presentations, and training regarding issues of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and harassment for students, faculty, and staff.
  • Boynton Health
    • Provides comprehensive health care services, which includes urgent care, for all students, faculty, and staff at their East Bank and St. Paul clinics.
  • Care Program
    • Provides coordinated care, support, and resources to students and works to foster student development and wellbeing.
  • International Student and Scholar Services
    • Provides information about non-immigrant visa issues, counseling about academic, personal, and family matters, as well as issues of cross-cultural adjustments and professional integration once returning home, and training about cross-cultural and international issues across campus.
  • Mental Health Crises
    • Addresses a wide range of mental health concerns for students, faculty, and staff.
    • If you (or someone you know) is in a mental health crisis and/or in immediate danger please call 911. If the mental health crisis you are experiencing is not dangerous, but you wish to talk to someone immediately for assistance about what to do next, call the 24-hour help line at 612-301-4673 or text "UMN" to 61222.
  • Nutritious U Food Pantry
  • Parent & Family Program
    • Assists parents and family members of students with finding resources, answering questions, navigating the university, and talking through any challenges they are experiencing.
  • Student Conflict Resolution
    • Offers informal conflict resolution services to help students resolve university-based problems and concerns.
  • Student Counseling Services
    • Offers counseling, classes, workshops, and presentations about mental health and life concerns, learning and academic skills, and career uncertainty.
  • Student Legal Service
    • Represents, advises, and educates students in legal matters, such as landlord/tenant law, family law, consumer issues, immigration law, and misdemeanor offenses.
  • Student Parent Help Center
    • Offers programs and services that are designed to promote access, retention, and academic success for students who are also parents.

Community resources