Home > Veterans > In-state tuition

In-state tuition

Your tuition at the University of Minnesota is assessed according to your:

  • Degree or other program registration
  • Enrollment level
  • Residency status
  • Residency in a state or province with a reciprocity agreement

Who is eligible for in-state tuition:

  • All veterans with at least 90 days active duty service.
  • All current members of the Minnesota Guard and Reserve.
  • All individuals using the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship.
  • Dependents using Chapter 33 or Chapter 35 benefits.
  • Chapter 31 participants

Eligible individuals maintain status as long as they remain continuously enrolled at the University of Minnesota, even if enrolled in multiple programs.

How do you get in-state tuition applied to your account:

  • Veterans: Turn in a copy of your DD214 to us.
  • National Guard members and reservists: Turn in enlistment papers, unit reassignment orders, or any official document that lists your current unit of assignment.
  • Dependents: Apply for your GI Bill® through the VA. Submit Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to University Veterans Services to get in-state tuition applied to your account.

Important Dates

Billing & Payment

Mon, Jan 24, 2022 Last day to receive a 100% tuition refund for canceling full semester and first 7-week session classes
Sun, Jan 30, 2022 Spring payment due in full (or first payment if enrolled in payment plan)
Thu, Feb 17, 2022 Second billing statement for spring available (due date: 3/2/22)