Home > Finances > May and summer aid

May and summer aid

May/summer financial aid includes May session and summer term(s). The financial aid year ends with summer term, which means that financial aid is often limited.

Steps to receive financial aid for May/summer session:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year (or make sure the University has it on file).
  • Register half time or more for course work in May session and/or summer term(s) combined.
    • You may be eligible for a federal Pell Grant if you enroll in only 1 credit
    • You may be eligible for a Minnesota State Grant if you enroll in least 3 credits of May/summer registration
Once you've completed those steps, you will automatically be considered for all available May/summer funding. You will receive an email in mid-May when your financial aid ready for your response. You may accept, reduce, or decline your aid through the My Finances tab of MyU.

Undergraduates with remaining eligibility

Undergraduates with remaining eligibility will be considered for the Minnesota State Grant, the Federal Pell Grant, the Carlson School of Management Tuition Surcharge, Federal and State Work-Study, Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, and the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) loans. University Trust (UTFL) loans may also be available on a limited basis for undergraduate students.

Summer work-study awards will be made with regard to federal and state fund availability. Students who are interested in receiving work-study will have the opportunity to request these funds and be placed on a summer work-study wait list.

Graduate students with remaining eligibility

Graduate students with remaining eligibility will be considered for State and Federal Work-Study and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and the Federal Graduate Plus Loan. If you have exhausted your annual maximum eligibility for unsubsidized loans, then you will be offered the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan up to your summer cost of attendance. The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan requires students to meet the federal credit check requirements in order to be eligible. Graduate students may be interested in private loans. Information on private loans is available on the loans page

To be eligible for May/summer financial aid, you must: 

  • Be admitted to a degree granting program effective summer term at the University of Minnesota
    • Aid is not available if you are a non-admitted, non-degree, summer only, or visiting student
  • Be in good academic standing, according to financial aid satisfactory academic progress criteria
  • Meet all deadline dates
  • Complete May/summer term registration. Your aid may be revised based on your actual enrollment. If you withdraw or drop classes, your aid will be reviewed and may be revised.
  • Not have loans in excess of loan limits
  • Not be in default on any loan under Title IV programs at any institution
  • Not owe a refund on a grant

Each year, the University establishes standard student budgets that use cost of attendance (COA) estimates for offering May/summer financial aid funds. The COA includes tuition and fees, room and board expenses, books and supplies, transportation, and personal miscellaneous expenses. The budgets reflect typical "modest but adequate" expense patterns of University of Minnesota students.

Some students will spend more than the standard amount, while others will spend less. Eligibility for financial aid, however, will be based on the standard budget allowances, not on individual preferences and spending habits.

Figures vary according to your residency status and degree program. Your May/summer term COA is determined (and May/summer financial aid is offered) after you have registered for that term.