Skip to main content

Maintaining Active Status

Maintaining active status is critical and is required in order to participate in the University community as a graduate student. Participating in the University community includes registering for coursework, taking examinations, submitting milestone forms, or filing for graduation. Students not registered every fall and spring term are considered to have withdrawn; their student records are deactivated. Those who wish to resume graduate work must request readmission (and if readmitted, must register) to reactivate their status.

Grad 999 - a zero-credit, zero-fee, non-graded registration option - will be an option for those graduate students who must register solely to meet the registration requirement. Students should check with their department office for eligibility.

If your student status has been discontinued, you will be required to apply for readmission. If your request for readmission is approved you will be required to register the term for which you are readmitted and every subsequent fall and spring term until you complete all degree requirements and graduate.

Confer with your adviser and/or DGS to determine what you should register for each term. You should consider the following in addition to any criteria outlined by your adviser and/or DGS:

  • Do you have course credits or thesis credits that must be taken to complete graduate program and/or University degree requirements?
  • Do you have to be registered part-time or full-time to meet any internal/external registration requirements in addition to the registration requirement (for example, obtaining financial aid; holding an assistantship; maintaining legal visa status; deferring loans)?
  • What number of credits (and what type of credits) will meet the requirements of those internal/external departments or agencies?

If you have completed all coursework and (if applicable) thesis credit requirements, and you do not have to be registered to meet any requirement other than the registration requirement to maintain active status, you may wish to confer with your adviser/DGS about GRAD 999 registration.

For questions about how the registration requirement will impact you, please contact the Graduate Student Services and Progress Office at or 612-625-3490.