Skip to main content

Senior Citizen Education Program

The Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP) is part of a Minnesota state statute and applies to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MNSCU). The University of Minnesota has chosen to participate in order to provide senior citizens with higher education opportunities.

Program fees

If you meet the residency and age requirements of the SCEP, you may audit courses free of charge or take courses for credit at $10 per credit. Whether you audit or earn credits for the course, you must pay any required laboratory or materials fees.


To receive SCEP-reduced tuition benefits, you must be a Minnesota resident and 62 or older before the start of the term for which you are registering.

You are also eligible if you are 60 years old and receiving a railroad retirement annuity. At your initial registration for classes, you will need to provide identification to verify your age, Minnesota residency, and (if applicable) railroad retirement annuity.


You may register on or after the registration date for non-degree students for the term, and you can register through the first two weeks of the term without penalty. Distance Learning classes have separate registration dates that are different from regular term classes.

To register, go to a One Stop Student Services Center with your Registration and Cancel/Add Request. You can also mail or fax your completed form to the address or fax number provided.

Be sure to include a copy of documentation that proves your Minnesota residency and age (e.g., driver's license or state-issued ID) to receive the discounted tuition rate.

Open or closed classes

The online Section Status Reports can tell you if a course is open or closed. For more information, call One Stop Student Services at 612-624-1111.

Priority is given to currently enrolled students for open class seats. If the class is open, you will be able to sign up without any instructor or department permission during the first week of the term.

If the class is closed (i.e., full) you will need a permission number from the instructor or department offering the class. Some classes have restrictions on who is allowed to take the class.


You can receive a 100 percent refund if you cancel a class during the first three weeks of the term. After the first three weeks of the term, no refunds are issued.