Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service

Related topics

Extra credit & independent study

Most colleges permit independent (or "directed") study (IND sections) or extra credit ( EXC sections) in their regular courses. Through EXC registration, you can earn extra credits (with a limit of 3) in a class by arranging with the instructor to complete additional work or explore a subject in more depth.

Through IND registration, you can complete a course by studying independently under the instructor's guidance without attending class. Regular fees, deadlines, and grading policies apply, and you must register only for the number of credits approved for the course. Requirements for completing the course must be agreed upon by you and your instructor.

Both types of registration require instructor and department approval. When you receive this approval, you must obtain a class number for the course (or section) and a permission number with which to register for the course. For further information, check with your college or department office. Once you have these numbers, you can register on the Web or in person at a One Stop Student Services campus center.

CLA classes

All extra credit or independent study courses taken through the College of Liberal Arts require college approval. Take your Student-Faculty Contract (signed by instructor and department) to 49 Johnston Hall for college approval.

Financial aid programs administered by the University's Office of Student Finance cannot be applied to any extended-term course.