Skip to main content
Invalid transaction and returned payment descriptions
- Insufficient Funds
- The available and/or cash reserve balance is not sufficient to cover the dollar value of the debit entry.
- Account Closed
- A previously active account has been closed by action of the customer or the RDFI.
- No Account/Unable to Locate Account
- The account number structure is valid and passes the check digit validation, but the account number does not correspond to the individual identified in the entry, or the account number designated is not an open account.
- Invalid Account Number
- The account number structure is not valid, the entry may fail the check digit validation, or it may contain an incorrect number of digits.
- Routing Number/Check Digit Error
The routing number of the receiver's financial institution is incorrect.
- For checking accounts, you must use the routing number from an actual check and not a deposit slip from a checking account. Also, you cannot use credit card "convenience checks", equity line-of-credit checks or investment account checks through the University's online payment processing vendor.
- For savings accounts, contact your bank for the accurate routing and account number for ACH/EFT withdrawals.
- Payment Stopped or Stop Payment
- The Receiver of a recurring debit transaction has the right to stop payment on any specific ACH debit. A stop payment order shall remain in effect until the earliest of the following occurs: a lapse of six months from the date of the stop payment order, payment of the debit entry has been stopped, or the Receiver withdraws the stop payment order.
- Non-transaction Account
- The ACH entry destined for a non-transaction account would include (1) an account against which transactions are prohibited or limited (e.g., Regulation D); or, (2) a pass-through where entry is for a credit union or thrift organization, and Regulation E descriptive requirements cannot be met.
- RDFI Not Qualified to Participate
- Bank is not a member of the NACHA network