Grades and credits
When determining if you are meeting standards, your grades and credits are tallied according to these guidelines:
- Attempted credits include grades of A, B, C, D, F, K, I, N, NG, P, Q, R, S, T, U, W, X, and blank.
- Earned (completed) credits include grades of A, B, C, D, K, NG, P, Q, R, S, T, and X.
- If you repeat a course, credits for each time you register will be to added to your attempted/earned credit totals. However, only the most recent grade received in the course will be used in the calculation of your cumulative GPA.
- Remedial and ESL (English as Second Language) credit equivalences are included in the calculation of both attempted and earned hours and in determining if you meet SAP GPA requirements.
- Transfer and consortium credits accepted by the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, will be included when calculating your credit completion ratio and maximum time frame, but not your GPA. This includes credits earned from non-U of M study abroad programs.
- Extended term distance education courses are considered attempted, but not earned until a grade is submitted.
- Audit (V) credits are not considered either attempted or earned.
- Undergraduate credits taken while you are a graduate student earn graduate credit and are included in your credit completion ratio, cumulative GPA, and maximum timeframe credit totals.