Skip to main content

Quick Links

Self service


Related topics

View 2010-11 reciprocity information

Special for

Reciprocity programs

Academic year, 2016–17

The University has reciprocity agreements with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and the province of Manitoba, Canada. If you are a resident of any of these states or province, you may qualify for reciprocity tuition rates, which are lower than nonresident tuition rates and, in some cases, comparable to resident rates.

Some exceptions are:

  • If you are participating in off-campus study or study abroad for an academic year or more, you must reapply for reciprocity.
  • If you are a student fom Wisconsin enrolled in the School of Dentistry, the Medical School, or the College of Veterinary Medicine, you are not eligible for reciprocity.
  • If summer session is your first registration at the University, you need to reapply for the next academic year.

Tuition reciprocity is not automatic

You must apply for reciprocity prior to the term in which you plan to register. You need to apply for reciprocity through the higher education office in your state or province. For information and application forms, check with your home state's reciprocity office below. You can also obtain application forms and information in the Admissions Office, 240 Williamson Hall, East Bank campus, Minneapolis.

You will receive an approval letter from your home state when your reciprocity application has been approved. The University is notified by your home state when your reciprocity agreement has been approved. However, if your billing statement does not reflect your reciprocity tuition, bring your approval letter to a One Stop Student Services Center.

After your first year, provided that you have earned credits on campus, your reciprocity automatically renews. Delays in your reciprocity eligibility will not exempt you from additional billing charges.

Reciprocity rate charts

North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin

If you are a student from North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin, you are chargedĀ resident rates.


Beginning fall 2012, if you are a new student from Manitoba enrolling in professional programs with the School of Dentistry, the Medical School, the College of Pharmacy, or the College of Veterinary Medicine, you will be chargedĀ non-resident rates.

If you will be enrolled in one of these programs prior to fall 2012, you will continue to be charged resident rates through the completion of your studies. If you are from Manitoba and enrolling in any other program, you are charged resident rates.